Epworth

The first stop on our Wesleyan Tour was the small town of Epworth, where John Wesley was raised, baptized and became the man he was. I'm not sure how this town would be if it hadn't been for the Wesleys... it's almost as if they loved to hate Samuel Wesley and his family when they were living, but when they died or went away and became "famous" they became hometown heroes. I guess this would just be any-old little town if it weren't known for the Wesleys.


We visited the rectory that was John Wesley's home (rebuit in 1709 after being destroyed by a fire that John himself barely survived). Among the displays there was a listing of what Susannah Wesley's day typically looked like...


That's a lot more time for spiritual reflection than I would have thought. I wonder how many mothers of 10 children have a schedule that looks like this? A simpler time perhaps.

So far, what I've learned of John Wesley makes me wonder whether I would have liked him as a person. He was apparently socially awkward, had little sense of humor, and was very OCD. I'm not sure where the focus on helping the poor and loving others comes in, but I suppose there's lots of sides to every personality. If something can come of such an odd little man, something can come of any one of us.

We visited St. Andrew's Church (Church of England) and the Wesley Memorial United Methodist Church. St. Andrew's has been around for 800ish years, Wesley a lot fewer... but still, beautiful old churches. As is my custom, of course, I took cemetery photos. And flowers. And animals... 



Jesse speaking over Samuel Wesley's grave, where John Wesley stood to preach when denied the pulpit.
Red Lion Inn... John Wesley slept here. And soon, so will I.






At St. Andrew's Parish Cemetery

Another cemetery pic...


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Curiouser and Curiouser

Home

London, Too