Wrap-Up... Finally

Well, it took a while but I wanted to wrap up our quick little Latvia trip. Sunday morning worship was a blur for me, as I wasn't feeling well. Unfortunately, I had to step out of the Sanctuary to get some air and try to feel better... so I missed the sermon. I was, however, able to hear the beautiful sound of Latvians singing. They are so talented... seemingly every single one of them can sing beautifully. Must be in the genes.


While I was sitting by the open window in the fellowship room, I had the benefit of watching the behind-the-scenes scurrying of busy hands setting out a beautiful spread of food for the group to enjoy after worship. I can't believe I didn't get a photo when it was all ready.... it was stunning! Alas, my mind was preoccupied with my own self. Hmpf. I even missed them calling me up to thank me for coming, and their subsequent prayer for me that I would feel better. All were very concerned, and I appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers.

After consuming quite a bit of water and breathing quite a bit of fresh air, I was feeling some better. I rested (i.e. slept) some on the car trip back to Riga and was feeling well enough after we checked into Sky High to go into Old Riga with Richard and Gita. Gita had heard from Erika that the city was preparing to remove and discard all of the locks on the bridge, where couples go to seal their love and throw away the key. Richard happened to have with him the key to his and Julie's lock, so we went down there so he could remove it and take it home with him, rather than have it discarded when the city cleans house.


Richard laughs at me for taking pictures of flowers all the time. Every time he looks around, there I am taking more pictures of flowers. Julie does the same thing. I said to him, "If we don't, who will?" He certainly isn't going to... so I made him wait while I did so. :)




Richard and I got to see the work they had been doing in the basement at Riga First, and the room where they hope to put a Teen Center. The renovated room looks amazing! And the one yet-to-be renovated looks daunting. To my eyes. The Latvians, however, have amazing foresight and vision of what a space can be.




We ended our evening with a great meal with Daina and Gita at a little Czech restaurant around the corner from Riga First. Apparently "everyone" has been there, but I hadn't... this was, after all, only the second time I'd spent any time in Old Riga.

My dinner of sausage, potatoes and kraut

Daina had these amazing potato pancakes with salmon and let me taste!

Gita and Richard laughing because I told him when he leans back to dodge my pictures, all I get is his gut, which is NOT better than being in a face-with-a-smile picture.

Our flight left at 6:30 AM the next morning, and we had an uneventful trip back. Still need a little rest to fully recover from my "not feeling well" - but I'll get that with the long Labor Day weekend. Good to be home, but wished I'd had more time in lovely Latvia!

Comments

  1. Sound so like a great visit. I enjoyed the flower pictures, so there, Richard. Haha. I hope you are feeling good enough to enjoy the long weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Curiouser and Curiouser

Home

Epworth