Potholes.

The title of today's post is, unfortunately, the most memorable thing about today. The roads in Ohio and the first part of Kentucky were atrocious. There were several times I fully anticipated a blow-out, and I passed several who had them. One time I think I even bottomed out! In my SUV!

Our first stop of the day was at a rest stop just inside Kentucky, outside Cincinnati. It was kind of ghetto. As soon as we parked and got out of the car, a young woman came over to talk to Meg and Maya. She herself was quite talkative. In the end, the bottom line of her approaching us was to tell her story about how she and her mom had a blow-out after hitting a pothole in Cincinnati and spent all their money on the replacement tire. They only had three dollars left for gas to get them to their destination four hours away. Now, I realized as soon as she started telling her story that her sole interest in striking up a conversation with me (and the dogs) was to ask for money. She started to ask me to pray for them, and I just told her that I could give her some cash. I know, I know... I'm a sucker. But at the same time, as Mike Dawson always says, err on the side of love. Why just say a prayer for her to find help when I myself can help? We are the hands and feet. So I gave her $10 (not enough to get her very far, but it's what I had) and went about my business.

Eventually the roads smoothed out a bit and the next roadside park was considerably less ghetto. In fact, a local garden club had invested in creating quite a show there in honor of veterans. There were poppies filling the field closest to the highway, and a collection of roses and day lilies filled the beds closer to the rest stop buildings. It was quite lovely.




As I was driving today, I thought of several things I wanted to include in my blog, but very few of them are coming to me now. I think the girls are tired of traveling, but at least they have a fully fenced yard to enjoy this evening. We are staying at another AirBNB, this one an en suite guest room on the opposite side of the house from where the family stays. I had a nice visit with Pete, Lesley and their young daughter, dogs, and guest pup. Maya did amazingly well greeting the pack without barking and carrying on. Maybe she can take anything now after dealing with Roxy and Pippa for so long.

One of the great things about this house is that it's smart equipped. They've converted the old intercom system into, basically, an Amazon Echo. I was able to make the air conditioning in my room cooler with a voice command. And I was able to play my nighttime music that I usually play on my Echo at home. And when I'm ready for bed, I'll be able to ask her to turn my lights off. Love it.

Sorry today's post wasn't more interesting... but you can't expect much from a day of driving. I'd much rather have an uneventful day driving than one with things to report. If I think of the things I intended to blog about, I'll let you know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curiouser and Curiouser

Home

Epworth