Little Rock

I woke up with the sun this morning and stepped out into a lovely, cool breeze. Blueberry bushes outside my door tempt me to pick from their bounty, although the berries are not quite ripe. Meg and Maya wander around the small, fenced yard that surrounds our Little Rock home for the night, "The Tiny Home."

Yesterday morning, my parents, aunt and I enjoyed a leisurely breakfast together at Rise and Shine, a small diner near Melinda's home in south Fort Worth. Their homemade white bread is almost worth the drive from New York. Thick slabs of goodness slathered in butter and orange marmalade... the perfect way to end my trip to Texas. With a to-go box filled with bread for the journey, we loaded up the car for my return trip east.

Since this trip was about supporting Melinda, I didn't do much running around and visiting. But I did get to see my Theta Chi girls (except Amy), some of my Grapevine folks, and my parents for an evening (and, of course, dinner at Mexican Inn). On the way out of town, I stopped at Trudy's to relieve Christian of my stuff that was taking up space in his closet. Although I miss this great group of friends, who are always behind me 100%, I miss my sister and her pups too. I'm ready to get back.

Back on the road, I saw others who are apparently headed home too: Wisconsin, Ohio, and Massachusetts license plates all over the place. At one point, I was passed by a large vehicle that I thought at first was an ambulance. Instead, it was a rescue/repair vehicle. On the back was the Pilot/Flying J branding. Who knew that truck stops provided emergency repair services? Clearly I didn't. A moment later he pulled off behind a stranded 18-wheeler. What a great service!

Our first day on the road was a short one, just as far as Little Rock to get a jump start. Again, I've chosen to stay at Airbnb locations because I can find great fenced yard options for Maya, who loathes doing business on leash. This tiny home is quite a gem. Although I'm not familiar with Little Rock neighborhoods, this appears to be one that is being gentrified. This small patch of land is being used for a garden, chicken coop, and of course the tiny house for travelers passing through. Maya is now an old pro at ignoring chickens, thanks to the Horn-Eldred family, but Meg still finds them bark-worthy. The girls enjoyed talking to the neighbor dogs across fences and relaxing on the cool tile floors. I loved the privacy and super-comfy bed. The owners were inspired by the book Living More With Less, which I read a little bit of when I was awake at 2 AM with a coughing fit (having forgotten to take my bedtime Benadryl). I'll look into reading the whole book at some point. This is a great little place. Wish we could spend more time, but we have a long day of driving ahead. Tonight, we lay our heads in Knoxville.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curiouser and Curiouser

Epworth

Home