Schenectady

A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that I was in Schenectady for a PRSA meeting, that I took pictures, and that I'd share them later. Later is now.

Schenectady is one of those towns I've always heard of but don't know why. I just remember the name, but not why the place might have been significant. Maybe it's because Grace Adler was from Schenectady, but I doubt it. All of the other popular references are ones I wouldn't have known, but I can't imagine that I paid attention that closely when watching Will and Grace.

Regardless, I knew the name before I moved here.

It's about a half hour drive from our house to the downtown area of Schenectady, where we have had lunch, enjoyed a show, and I have had some meetings. It's a cute downtown area, with historic buildings along a very walkable main street called State Street.


The place where we had our PRSA event is called Urban Co-Works. It's an interesting flexible office space that allows non-profits, consultants, and start-ups to have a professional environment to meet with clients and have space to do their work. People can become a member and utilize the open space areas as they need to. There are closed offices as well as open work spaces and a presentation area. It's quite an interesting concept... one I hadn't seen before.


The Urban Co-Works entrance is situated on Jay Street, which has been closed off to vehicle traffic. It makes for a nice pedestrian area with shops along each side leading from State Street to Franklin Street, where Schenectady City Hall is located. The little Irish shop I've mentioned before is located here as well (although I didn't stop in this time... I was trying to get back to my car before my free parking time was up).


The Schenectady City Hall is quite an impressive building, and apparently broke the bank when it was built back in 1933. It was the middle of the Great Depression, after all. According to the Wikipedia article on it, the interior layout has not been altered since it was originally built. When I stopped at the light and looked up to see this building, I said (out loud, to myself), "Whoa. What in the world is that?" I guess they take their city governing pretty seriously.


One last building caught my eye as I was strolling down State Street after my PRSA meeting, and that was St. Joseph's Church. Its spire towers above the rest of the buildings and the church is situated across from a park which seems to split the road in half. Looking at a map later, I found that to be Veterans Park, which I've had a bit of a time finding information about. I know there are statues there, but I'll either have to go back and take some pictures or do a little more digging to find the story behind that park. But obviously it honors veterans.

But back to St. Joseph's... it is a Catholic church that has been in existence since 1862. As I have mentioned before, your heritage can be determined by which church you go to. Apparently St. Joseph's was founded by German immigrants. When it was founded, there were many German immigrants in Schenectady and three German congregations: one Catholic, one Methodist and one Lutheran. It appears that the Polish Catholic Church was formed out of the St. Joseph's congregation as well. Needless to say, St. Joseph's large steeple is quite imposing alongside the shorter building of State Street.


I'm sure there are many other interesting things to see in Schenectady, but these are the ones that were readily obvious to me in the downtown area. Proctor's Theater, which has been there since 1926, is also a spot not to be missed. That's where Kef and I went to see Rock of Ages a number of weeks (months?) ago. I'm sure I'll be back to Schenectady again and will discover something new next time!

Cross-posted on my Quest blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curiouser and Curiouser

Epworth

Wherefore Art Thou, Cappleman?