This is the dawning of the age of Aquarium... AQUARIUM!

We spent Easter Sunday morning at the Maui Ocean Center, the Aquarium of Hawaii. 


I realize now that I'm really out of practice on the travel blog front. I usually have my laptop so I can really type, but I just have my tablet. Maybe I'll go back in and add more detail when I get home. But for now...

We spent a lot of time in the reef exhibit and took roughly one million fish photos. I also took photos of the explanations so I could explain things here, but again, easier on the full computer. At any rate, the fish were stunning, and wild, and weird, and interesting. 


After the reef, we were starving so we tried to pop into the restaurant. There is no popping. We put ourselves on the 75 minute waiting list and moved on to the turtles, baby sharks, and open sea tunnel, complete with mana rays and adult sharks. 


Hunger got the best of us, so we opted for the café, where I had a chicken pesto sandwich. The cherry on top of this aquarium sundae was the 3d immersive film of humpback whales. Truly like being right with them in the ocean! It was amazing, but no photography so... you'll have to take my word for it. I thought it would make me motion sick, but it was very gentle. And not at all disconcerting to come nose to barnacled nose with a 60,000 lb.  animal. 

We ended our tour with a quick stop in the gift shop and a Dole whip, mine with macadamia nuts.

On our way to the Aquarium that morning, we'd spotted a craft fair that was only open until 2pm, so we high tailed it back to Lahaina to see what kind of crafts were available. After a quick jaunt around the hot parking lot, we made our selections (I picked up a reversible bag in Hawaiian prints and a Maui cap).

Our next stop was to be the Lahaina Lighthouse. We made it to the historic area, paid for parking, and I promptly hit my head on the trunk of the car as I was getting something out of it. It was super painful, and I was feeling overheated, so we decided to skip it for now and go back to the hotel.

We spent the rest of the the afternoon resting. No evidence of a concussion, but the headache lingers. We had mahi-mahi sandwiches for supper, watching the sunset.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curiouser and Curiouser

Epworth

Wherefore Art Thou, Cappleman?