Traveling to Sedona

Today, I'm taking a vacation from being on vacation. Kef and I had planned a trip to Sedona back before life was turned upside down. At the time, we were both in Texas, so traveling to Phoenix was going to be cheep and easy. Now that we're both in Albany, it's a little more complicated.

We began our day at 4:30 am, getting up and ready to be at the airport for an early flight to Charlotte, the Queen City. I'll look up why it's called that later. I got in the slowest possible line at security, and Kef set off alarm bells in the pre-check line with her super scary Vix vaporub. She started feeling sick yesterday... hopefully the vapors will heal her.

What I learned about an early morning at the Albany airport is that the Starbucks employees are in their own little world, and in no rush to be a helpful part of yours. Not that we were in a hurry... but if we had been, the fact that they had to heat our breakfast by rubbing two sticks together... and remake my latte with the almond milk I'd actually ordered rather than the full dairy that would have had me in the restroom all day... would have set off a bad mood. Nonetheless, we eventually got it right and were off for the first leg of our journey.

That first flight was really great because the seat I was in had ample room for my ample hips... even in coach! They let me board with Kef and the other first class passengers because, "I'm with her." That gave me time to get all my stuff situated in my window seat before long-legged businessmen squeezed in beside me. But I still had that hip room, because the arm rest allowed it. I went quickly back to sleep to finish my beauty rest.

In Charlotte, we browsed the food options and ended up at 1897 Market,  where I had an amazing burger with an Angus beef and locally-sourced sausage patty topped with pimento cheese and long, thick- sliced pickles. And parmesan fries. It was fantastic, so if you're ever in the Charlotte airport be sure you check it out.

Since we had a long layover, we also got to enjoy the airport-provided rocking chairs while charging our phones.

Our flight to Phoenix was late and slow to board, so we're running about an hour behind schedule as I write this. I'm taking pictures out my window to remind myself of things I'm curious about looking up later. Like, for example, this oddly-shaped village/town/cult compound. 


Our next step upon late arrival in Phoenix was to pick up a rental car from Avis, and drive up to Sedona! It was a beautiful drive through tall Saguaro cacti, highlighted by an ever-brightening sunset.



We were looking forward to some good Mexican food for dinner, so after checking in to the Sedona Real Inn and Suites, we headed out to fulfill the need. Mission accomplished... at Fiesta Mexicana. Good chips and queso, wonderful margaritas, and waaaaay too much food. Now we're over-full and turning in early (Arizona time - midnight our time).



Although I don't feel like I should be on a vacation when I haven't really been doing anything for the past two months, it may be the last one I get for a little while. Hopefully a new job will be imminent when we return and I'll be working away like a normal person before I know it.

In the meantime, vacation it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curiouser and Curiouser

Home

London, Too